About Thirteenth District Court – Department 7
Located in Yellowstone County, the Thirteenth District Court is Montana’s busiest state court. The types of cases addressed in Thirteenth District Court include:
- Felony criminal offenses charged in Yellowstone County
- Domestic (family law) cases, including paternity, divorce/child custody, adoption and dependency/neglect cases
- Lawsuits and other matters of civil law
Department 7 is one of two new judgeships created for the Thirteenth Judicial District by the 2017 Montana Legislature. The need for this department was determined due to the increasing volume of cases filed in the Court. Candidates for these new judicial positions could only file for one of the two new offices. A separate race is being held for Department 8, which was also created by the legislature in 2017.
How to Vote in Yellowstone County
In order to vote in Yellowstone County, you must be at least 18 years of age on or before the election date. You must also be a Montana resident for a minimum of 30 days prior to the election.
- Primary elections will be held on Tuesday, June 5
- General elections will be held on Tuesday, November 6
To register to vote, check your registration status or apply for an absentee ballot, please visit the Yellowstone County Elections Page.